The Cyber Valley Research Group on Intelligent Tactile Systems is an independent research group at the Institute of Smart Sensors (IIS), investigating on the creation of tactile skins that can sense multimodal, high-dimensional, spatio-temporal physical contact information over large, three-dimensional, compliant surfaces.
We are looking for versatile candidates holding a Master’s degree (or equivalent) or Ph.D. degree in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, robotics, or related subjects in the field of multimodal tactile sensing and perception.
Multiple positions are opened for the following (not limited to) research areas:
• Modular tactile sensing network design
- Design of a scalable and reliable tactile data acquisition and processing system.
- Collaboration with the institute of smart sensors (IIS) and IMS CHIPS.
- Looking for candidates with background and/or strong motivation in circuit design, sensor networks, and real-time embedded systems.
• Tactile skin digital twinning
- Develop a digital representation of a tactile skin and design a pipeline for real-tosimulation bidirectional information exchange.
- Partly connected to an international collaboration project funded by the Austrian Research Promotion Agency (FFG).
- Looking for candidates with background and/or strong motivation in system modeling, numerical methods, Multiphysics simulation, and parameter identification.
• Integrative tactile skin for soft robots
- Create soft tactile skin that is easy to integrate with soft robots, while enabling soft robot’s state estimation and external environments monitoring.
- Collaboration with members of Cyber Valley consortium.
- Looking for candidates with background and/or strong motivation in soft materials, hands-on-experience, and mechatronics is advantageous.
What we offer:
- Excellent opportunity to conduct a PhD or grow academic carrier with a competitive annual gross salary – depending on experience level – of >45,000€
- Being part of a young and highly motivated team in a multidisciplinary environment • Support participation in international conferences and workshops
- Access to the research environment and facility of the institute with world-leading IC design, quantum technology, and multiphysics simulation
- Collaborations with leading industrial and academic partners
How to apply?
PDF application package to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline: The application will be reviewed as soon as received. The position will be open until the position is filled. Start date: It is flexible but no later than November 2023. Application package should include a 1-page motivation letter, academic CV, a transcript of records (BS, MS), and any other supplementary documents, such as thesis, portfolio.